DonaldsonPlanning Key Projects
We have handled numerous applications for large scale housing schemes, with development values well in excess of £100million.
- securing outline permission for 300+ houses on ‘phase 2’ lands in Antrim;
- securing full permission for a major housing development on a former distribution warehouse site in Dunmurry
- Full permission for a development of about 150 houses and employment uses on a site in Ballyclare
- Renewal of permission for a development of c.350 houses in Donaghadee.
- various residential development schemes in Ardglass, Armagh, Ballygowan, Fivemiletown, Greenisland, Lurgan, and Portadown.
We also work with many leading architectural practices and agents and have an enviable track record of success for bespoke housing and small redevelopment proposals in some of Northern Ireland's most sensitive and heavily policy protected locations such as Cultra, Malone, Stranmillis, and the north coast.
We advise architects and farmers on development proposals throughout the rural area, including farm dwellings, equestrian buildings, conversion projects, tourism and diversification.
We have worked on a very diverse range of commercial projects. Some examples include:
- permission for a new retail and distribution centre in Belfast for Asia Supermarkets
- major retail developments in Ballyclare and Newry
- representations on behalf of Armagh City Centre Traders
- major new distribution warehousing at Newtownabbey for Montgomery Transport
- relocation of Munster Simms Engineering (Whale) in Bangor
- major industrial/commercial developments in Belfast, Newtownards, Castlewellan and Cookstown
- planning permission for a new hotels in Lagan Valley Regional Park and Castledawson
- applications and advice for various restaurant/bar premises in Belfast, Bushmills, Holywood and Donaghadee.
Healthcare and Community
Our healthcare team has worked on numerous residential care developments throughout Northern Ireland. Projects include new care homes in:
- Greater Belfast (Carrickfergus, Dunmurry, Newtownabbey etc)
We have advised leading private medical care provider '352 Healthcare' and are planning agents for a proposed major Community Treatment and Care Centre on a conservation area site in Newry.
We are currently working with the project architects advising South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust in relation to redevelopment proposals at Lagan Valley Hospital.
We have worked on a number of major church projects, including a new Vineyard Church in Coleraine. A current project involves a proposed new church building in Newry.
We have advised North Down Borough Council on a controversial new community centre incorporating a projectile range in Bangor.
We have advised on a number of successful children's day care projects, including two in Bangor and one in Newtownards. We have also carried out appraisals to identify potential sites for this use.
We have obtained planning approvals for wind turbine development and are working with a major European solar energy developer on sites in Northern Ireland. We are also assisting a leading provider of renewable heating systems in the UK to expand their production facilities in NI.
We can assemble all of the expertise necessary to ensure that proposals stand the best chance of success in the planning system. Where appropriate, we can also advise those opposed to specific energy developments in their local area.
Minerals and Waste
- successfully defending against enforcement action on sand and gravel workings at Cookstown
- advice on quarry/landfill development near Portrush
- advice on peat extraction at several locations
- regularising a major concrete product manufacturing facility near Lisburn
- advising on waste disposal/scrap metal sites at locations such as Banbridge, Ballymena and Lisburn.